We have more employees in our 10-county labor shed in the following jobs than the average US labor shed by the following amounts:
Since 2011, the following Chemical/Ag Related Industries have grown in our 10-county labor shed region:
- 107% in Crop Harvesting, Primarily by Machine
- 83% growth in Animal Production & Aquaculture
- 71% growth in Crop Production
- 60% growth in Animal Food Manufacturing
- 19% growth in Medicinal & Botanical Manufacturing
- Interstate 24 (east-west) and Interstate 69 (north-south) intersect in the heart of our community.
An Expanding Economy
Marshall County has seen more than $400 million in expansions of over 7 plants since 2012! All the well-known companies below are spending significant dollars to expand in our community because they know how great it is to do business here:
- In 2015 Ashland Chemical announced a $12,500,000 expansion
- In 2014 Westlake Vinyls announced a $300,758,974 expansion
- In 2014 Estron Chemicals announced a $4,900,000 expansion
- In 2013 Gerdau Ameristeel US announced a $26,304,000 expansion
- In 2013 Wacker Chemical Corporation announced a $27,400,000 expansion
- In 2012 Lubrizol Advanced Materials announced a $39,200,000 expansion
- In 2012 Sekisui Specialty Chemicals announced a $2,781,652 expansion
Our 10-county labor shed is home to the following numbers of skilled workers:
- 2,449 Heavy & Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- 1,945 Laborers & Freight, Stock, and Material Movers
- 1,055 Poultry Processing
- 950 First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation
- 758 Team Assemblers
- 604 Light Truck or Delivery Services Drivers
- 599 Cookie & Cracker Manufacturing
- 593 Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- 591 Machinists
- 497 Industrial Truck & Tractor Operators
- 476 Miscellaneous Food Manufacturing
- 417 Packers and Packagers, Hand
- 415 Medicinal & Botanical Manufacturing
- 404 Food Preparation Workers
- 355 Chemical Equipment Operators
- 347 Packaging & Filling Machine Operators
- 333 Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, & Weighers
- 319 Crop Production
- 236 Food Batchmakers
- 221 Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- 214 Mixing & Blending Machine Operators
- 190 Meat, Poultry, & Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- 188 Fluid Milk Manufacturing
- 165 Animal Production & Aquaculture
- 159 Industrial Production Managers
- There are 1,277 people employed through temporary staffing agencies in our labor shed.
Ample Water & Wastewater Capacity
- Water has 700,000 gallons of excess capacity a day
- Wastewater has 340,000 gallons of excess wastewater capacity a day
- Water has 600,000 gallons of excess capacity a day
- Wastewater has 600,000 gallons of excess capacity a day
Two Electric Power Providers
- We are served with electricity by TVA and Jackson Purchase Energy giving us some of the lowest electric power costs in the United States.
- Western Kentucky University features a Food Science Cluster which involves the departments of Agriculture, Architectural and Manufacturing Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, and the Water Training Institute. This interdisciplinary program prepares graduates to be leaders in the development of new food products. Click here to learn more about the program: http://www.wku.edu/ams/food-science-cluster.php
- The University of Kentucky features a Food Science Program within its College of Agriculture, Food and Environment. This program teaches students about the manufacturing, production, processing, product development, packaging, preparation, evaluation, distribution, utilization, and safety of food products. Click here to learn more about the program: http://afs.ca.uky.edu/FoodScience
Community College Programs
- West Kentucky Community & Technical College (WKCTC) offers ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification which is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)- Conference for Food Protection (CFP).
- Additionally, WKCTC offers degrees and certificates in Culinary Arts which is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation.
- Also, WKCTC offers degrees and certificates in Logistics & Operations Management which teaches Supply Chain Management and Logistics Management skills.
- We are served by the Paducah and Louisville Railway (P&L) which interchanges with the BNSF, CN, CSX, and NS Railroads.
- Kentucky ranked 1st in Site Selection magazine’s annual Governor’s Cup award, recognizing the highest number of qualifying industry locations and expansions per capita in 2014.
Taxes & Business Costs
- CNBC ranked Kentucky the 2nd best state for the “Cost of Doing Business” in 2015
Grants & Tax Credits
- KBI Program
- Wage Assessment- 4% of total payroll credit against state income taxes
- Income Tax Credit- up to 100% of corporate income or limited liability entity tax liability arising from the project
- KEIA Program
- Sales/Use Tax Refund- Refund of sales & use tax paid for building & construction materials, research and development equipment, and electronic processing equipment.
- Bluegrass State Skills Workforce Training
- Grant Reimbursement- up to 50% matching reimbursement for in-house training; educational institution and consultant training; instruction materials, texts, and supplies; train-the-trainer travel; trainee wages and registered apprenticeship training-year one apprentices. The maximum funding for companies with 1-499 employees is $25,000 and $50,000 for companies with $500+ employees.
- Tax Credit- up to 50% of training costs can be recovered as a state tax credit limited to $500 per Kentucky employed residents, not to exceed $100,000. Eligible costs include: in-house training; educational institution and consultant training; instruction materials, texts, and supplies; train-the-trainer travel; trainee wages and registered apprenticeship training-year two, three, and four apprentices.
- Kentucky Wins In-Kind Training
- In-kind training through the local community colleges which provides recruiting, screening, and training assistance.
- KEDFA- Click here to learn about this loan program: https://www.thinkkentucky.com/kyedc/pdfs/kedfadcp.pdf
- IRBs- local financing mechanism for high impact projects. Additionally, a 5-year property tax abatement can be offered through this program.
- CDBG- low interest loan financing for high impact projects.